Thursday, March 4, 2010

Infant Massage

Back in Michigan when I was teaching I had the priviledge of getting trained to teach infant massage. I have used it tons with my own kids and here and there I have taught classes. I was massaging Little Man the other day and it struck me that my agency may be interested in having me teach a class. I threw it out there thinking that it probably wouldn't go anywhere, but I was wrong! My FDS brought it before the team today and we already have a date, time and worked out other details too!

Infant massage holds LOTS of benefits for a child that is in foster care (or not!)!
  • Biggest for children in foster care is that the child's systems get regulated. After exposure to drugs, alcohol, abuse, neglect, etc their systems become very disorganized and this helps to regulate those systems.
  • Bonding and attachment
  • Helps them sleep (longer and deeper)
  • Helps relieve constipation
  • Aids in pain relief from gas and teething
  • Helps the child's digestive and circulatory systems

These are just a few (of many!) for the child. Parents also benefit in bonding with the baby, learning to read the child, and relaxation for themselves! If you are a foster parent, definitely look into it in your area. You won't be sorry! Oh, and infant massage isnt' just for infants! My other kids are 3 and 5 and they still enjoy an "oil change" every now and then! It's a great time of communication and bonding :)

No comments: