Monday, August 9, 2010

UP!!!

It is a personal pet peeve of mine when children (my own or someone else's) go to the legs of the mama and whine/cry to be picked up. Most people think that's just what babies do, but for some reason it drives me nuts-LOL! I have been working with Little Man for awhile now on signing and saying "up" when he wants me to hold him. Well....I am happy to report that he now waves his hand up and down and "uuuu" over and over till you pick him up! THANK YOU LORD! :) I think that sometimes we as parents don't really realize how much these little people are capable of. He is 13 months and he can tell me many of his wants/needs without whining/crying.

It is always a goal of mine to teach my children to ASK for what they want using specific words and not to use manipulation/whining/whatever other method to get me to do what they want! One example of this for my older kids is when they say "I can't get the gate open!" We have baby gates up everywhere and until recently they have not been able to open them. I *could* simply walk over and open it for them understanding what they need, but I want to teach my children to verbalize that need/want. So....I will say "excuse me?" or "please try that again" and they are able to rephrase that statement with a request "mom, could you please open the gate for me?" It definitely takes time, as most things with kids do, but very worth it to me!!!! The bible teaches this same thing when we approach God....

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. Matthew 7:7-8

AND

James 4:2 (New International Version)
2You want something but don't get it. You kill and covet, but you cannot have what you want. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask God. (italics mine)



That's the good stuff....the stuff we are still working on you ask??? He has started this nasty little tantrum business with high pitch screaming. Lovely! Ignoring them works sometimes...we all may just have a reduction of hearing though! The teething is still roaring it's ugly head. Hopefully we get a break after this current ones pops!

No comments: