Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Do you know who you are?

So many of the debates and issues surrounding parenting simply have no merit to us foster parents.  We simply must obey the rules or there will be consequences.  Some examples...

Breastfeeding or rather using "donated" breast milk. (formula only)
Using natural remedies that mainstream may not accept
Immunizations (have to)
School (must go)
Co-sleeping (we are allowed to have a child 12 months or younger in our room, but NOT in our bed)
Leashes for kids
(NOTE:  I am not interested in discussing any of these matters in a debate form :) )

In the end do any of these things really matter?  When we stand before our Lord on judgement day will these be the things that matter?  NO!  God has been speaking to me a lot lately about WHOSE I am and that I really need to recognize this.  I shouldn't care what others think of me or say about me (or our parenting choices, etc)...my value does not come from them.  Am I pleasing my Heavenly Father?  Am I doing what He told me to do? THAT is what matters.

We MUST teach our children that they are a son or daughter of the Most High God!!  Our children MUST know and realize their value in Christ whether they are here for a few days, weeks, months, years, or forever!  What a great and awesome responsibility we have as parents and foster parents to put what really matters into the hearts of our children!!  It's not about things that we have, the latest and greatest gadget, the kinds of clothes we wear or what that other person called you etc.  I love to read THIS story to my kids.  It's called "You are Special" by Max Lucado and reinforces that only their Maker is the one they need to please.  He loves them and cares for them just the way they are and His is the Voice they need to listen to :)

Love on, cuddle and snuggle those little ones (or not so little ones) He has entrusted to you today and pour out how much God loves them into their little hearts :)